Okay another update on my busy life here in Sandville.
About 2 weeks ago we had a sandstorm. I was at school getting ready to go on lunch duty when an announcement came on and said that visibility was low and that it was an indoor recess. Keep our classroom doors and windows closed. Then they went on to say they were contacting the appropriate authorities as to cancel school for the rest of the day and go home.
I thought to myself…”Are you serious? We are going to cancel school because of a dust storm…SWEET…nobody at home will believe this. Lol”
So I opened my door and it was a bit hazy in the hallway…then I continued all the way to the outside doors. When I opened the door all I saw was a light brown haze and no playground. Then I thought to myself “Wow this is my FIRST dust storm!...COOL”
Well needless to say school did not get cancelled….however we heard that school the next day might be…but unfortunately it did not happen. It was still dusty again and most girls came with the little white masks that you wear when you are cleaning out a grain bin…it was quite the sight to see.
On February 22 – 26 we had another holiday. I decided I should be responsible and save some money and check out Kuwait more. Everyone that didn’t stay in Kuwait went to Lebanon…but I was a bit leary as the US Embassy was recently bombed.
On Friday Feb. 23 I went to games night in my building with all the people who stayed in Kuwait..which was a fair number of us.
Then on Saturday. Feb. 24 I went to the Cinema. I wanted to see Dan the Man but it was sold out…so the only available flick was SILK. Let’s just say I did not have the best experience at the theatre. For one…there is nothing to do in Kuwait but go to the Cinema so it was packed..we had to sit in the “boy section” which is located right up at the screen (sore neck). Then in Kuwait its Haram (sin) to kiss…so all the scenes with any kissing etc were edited out. To make it worse there was lots edited out of our movie and it was 1 hour and 45 minutes long…I can’t imagine how long it would be without editing. It was the WORST Movie I have ever seen. No plot, or story to it. Don’t see it. Trust me save your money.
After the movie the girls (Amanda, Kyla and Danielle) and I went to the Chocolate Bar…and tried to make ourselves feel better. Teehee Danielle’s friend Moe came by and invited us over to his apartment for drinks. So we agreed.
The next day, Sunday Feb. 25th I went to Faaheel with Danielle and Kyla. It was one of the first sunny hot days here in Kuwait that we’ve had in awhile. Didn’t buy anything but we sat and drank coffee near the water sprinklers. It was a nice atmosphere.
Then Monday, Feb. 26 (National Day) I wanted to go skating so Danielle, Jamie, Joe and I headed to the rink…which had no ice because they were setting up for a concert. Seriously I didn’t think my break could get any more bad luck. We went back to Jamie’s house and ate wings, chilled out and then went back to Faaheel because Jamie needed some new shoes. Back at my house we ordered Thai and watched the Oscar Awards. Then Moe was having another party so we went to it..but it was not fun.
Tuesday, Feb. 27 – Liberation Day …I had full intentions of getting up early and going to the Liberation Tower in Kuwait…but slept in. Sigh and that was the worst week I could possible have had this year. So next year I don’t think I want to stay in Kuwait for that long of break.
On February 21 we were supposed to celebrate National Day at school but because of the dust storm the Ministry of Education cancelled it. So we had it on February. 28th. This is when everyone in Kuwait dressed in the Kuwait flag colors. I will post some pictures of this event. Just a bit of history for you..as I am currently teaching the Kuwait Unit in S.S National Day is always celebrated on the 25th because it was when Kuwait became an independent country. On Feb. 26th Kuwait became free from the fighting with Iraq.
So right now I am cleaning my apartment…I am hosting a student teacher to live with me for the next 8 weeks…hopefully we get along because the living quarters are going to be tight.
Hope all is well. Miss everyone lots.
Love,Krista
March 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment