May 31, 2009

My First Dentist Experience in Kuwait

My First Dentist Experience in Kuwait

On, Sunday May 31st I went to the dentist at the International Clinic in Kuwait. I wait patiently until Dr. Fadi was ready to see me. A dental assistant came and got me and led me to Dr. Fadi’s office. He greeted me as I entered and asked me what I came for. Hmmm I wonder. I told him I wanted a checkup and cleaning. I also made sure to state that my mom was a dental assistant and that I go to the dentist once a year for a checkup. I layed down in the dentist chair and the assistants put not one but two bibs on me. Then they put a shower cap on my head! They handed me my glasses and I layed back in the chair. I watched the computer monitor while he checked out my teeth for cavities. He said I had none, but if I wanted to be sure he would take x-rays. I responded Oh, yes I definitely want the x-rays so that I can tell my mom that I for sure have no cavities. But before he did the x-rays he used the ultra-sonic to scale my teeth. I DO NOT LIKE THIS. Water squirts everywhere and sometimes the water hits a sensitive spot and it hurts. Finally, he finished. He kept asking me to swish the water in my mouth from the cup. On the side of my chair was a cup with pink water in it. I asked what it was and he said water with a mouth wash..and I spit the water into a little plastic bowl that acted like a sink. It was pretty cool. He flossed my teeth with mint floss. I hate when dentists floss your teeth because it hurts…but I have to say this Dr. Fadi is a good flosser it didn’t hurt at all! Then, he said it was time for the cleaning. He took the mint paste and put it all over my top and bottom teeth with his finger and polished them. (In Canada they only put the paste a little bit at a time). Then he asked me again to rinse with the pink water solution. This time it tasted horrible and he said “Oh I asked the assistant to put more hydrogen peroxide (I think that’s what he said..its been a long day at school, tutoring and then the dentist) I thought to myself gross! Then he took the x-ray. I am proud to say mom I have NO CAVITIES. A bit of gingivitis..but that’s normal for me.

Dr. Fadi recommened the following:
1) Tell your dentist to give you a Fissure Sealant. (He was going to do it for me right then, but I told him that I would ask my mom and dentist in Canada first and if I decided to do it then I would come back.
2) Change toothpastes. He recommends Parodontax to help my gums because they are sensitive.

Oh and the exciting thing is that he gave me my x-rays to give to my mom (the dental assistant) so that she can double check it. Hehe I can definitely tell you that I got the thorough treatment because he knew I was going to tell my mother exactly what he did. He was absolutely correct.

No comments: