August 1, 2010

Langkawi, Malaysia

Day 1 - Friday, April 9th
At 8:00 p.m Jenn and I headed to the airport. Our first flight was through Dubai at 10:15p.m on Emirates Airline. It was an awful flight. The seats were hard and looked like they were made of cardboard. It was windy out and there was lots of air turbulence as we left the ground. It was so windy that the plane had a hard time getting off the ground and we were swaying from one side to the other. I held onto Jenn it was that bad. I wasn’t sure if we were going to make it to Dubai. It was the worst flight I have been on (actually it ties with my flight to Dehli, India a few years ago!)

The flight from Dubai to Kuala Lumpur was full so Jenn and I didn’t get our seats together. I sat beside a young couple who are originally from Ireland but living in Australia. They were very nice and whenever they had to go to the bathroom they hopped over me because I was in the isle seat and they didn’t want to bother me! Haha
At the Kuala Lumpur airport Jenn and I sat at a restaurant until our next flight to Langkawi. I had vegetable soup and a coffee. After eating we headed down to the gate. I read Breaking Dawn until I saw Lexi, Ruth (mother), Elaine (Aunt), Dorothy (Grams), and Kim (Lexi’s friend). They were on the same flight Malaysian Airlines to Langkawi with us.

From the Langkawi airport we took a taxi for 48 ringgits for all 7 of us. We had to take 2 cars though because they didn’t have a big van. We stayed at Mutiara Burau Bay Resort. When we got there they didn’t have our reservation! Thankfully it was not peak season and they had rooms for us! Jenn and I stayed in Room 1112, Lexi and Kim were in room 1111 and the other ladies were in room 1113.





We went for supper at our hotel and I had vegetable spring rolls and Malaysian chicken satay with peanut sauce! Yum. It was only 50 ridgit. Before I went to sleep I read Breaking Dawn (the last book in the twighlight series)

Day 2 - Saturday, April 10th
We woke up at 9:30 and had breakfast which was included in our hotel. I had an onion and cheese omlette with fruit. Today was a lay by the pool day. We went swimming, and drank margarhettas. The drink would’ve been good if it had a sugar rim around the glass not salt! I continued reading Breaking Dawn. For lunch I had vegetable spring rolls again (they were delicious), vegetable stir fry which was a bit spicy and a caramel ice coffee.

In the afternoon Ruth, Elain, Dorothy, Kim and I went for a walk and ended up at the oriental village where I bought a sun dress. For supper we went to the Sea Shell Café. There was a live band called the Peals. There Kim and I took a picture with Langkawi’s Largest Guitar.



They also had a special buy 1 beer get 1 free. I had spinach and Ricotta Ravioli with garlic bread. It was delicious! Night came quickly and it was off to bed but not before reading more in my book.

Day 3 - Sunday, April 11th
Up for Breakfast and had the usual cheese omelet with fruit. At 9:00 we were picked up in a van that took us for our first tour. The tour was called Rampant Sailing Day Cruise with Carl and Bea. There were 9 of us on the boat total (a nice small group). One couple was from Singapore living in Australia. It was a wonderful day cruise. There was a Jacuzzi net at the back of the boat that we could relax in.




We sailed by rocks in the shape of a pregnant woman, farting island, and diamond island. We ate little mini banana’s which were delicious. For lunch we anchored in a small cove and went kayaking into a cave, sat in the hammocks under the boat and rank beer. Bea served us a buffet lunch which included potato salad, chicken satay, stir fry, beef, rice, and salads.




After lunch we went on a jungle trek to an Island where there were mangrove trees, and a man made pond. We could swim back or take the little water boat back to the sail boat.

We arrived back at our hotel at 5:00 and showered before going for supper. We went back to the Sea Shell Café and the Pearls were playing again. I splurged and bought the BBQ tenderloin steak, greatin potato, and vegetables. It was delicious and cost me 65 ridgit. Before going to bed, I continued reading Breaking Dawn.

Day 4 - Monday, April 12th
We woke up at 9:30 and you can probably guess that I had the same cheese and onion omelet with fruit and a deep fried banana.

At 10:00 we walked to the oriental village. Lexi, Kim, Elaine and Ruth all went for an elephant ride. It was quite expensive 80 rigit for 2 people for 5 mintues. On my other trips I have been on an elephant ride so I didn’t go here.

Afterwards we walked to the waterfall. It was quite dry so it wasn’t much of a water fall. Kim and I decided to walk up to the seven wells. It started to rain on our walk up and back down again. It actually was nice because it cooled us down. We walked back towards the Oriental Village and ran into Ruth, Dorothy and Elaine. I bought some sour cream and onion chips, A&W rootbeer for a snack and headed back to our hotel pool. We ordered a pizza to share between all of us for a snack. It was okay. We swam until it was time to get ready for supper.

Back to the Sea Shell I couldn’t decided on what I wanted to eat so I had the Raviolli and Spinach and Ricotta Pasta again. I also shared spring rolls and garlic bread with Lexi. It was a delicious meal.

Day 5 - Tuesday, April 13th
We woke up at 7:00am and had breakfast…the usual. At 8am our tour bus picked us up. We knew it was not going to be a small group like our previous tour because we took 2hours picking up others coming on the tour. Jenn didn’t come on the tour because they weren’t feeling well.

We took a 1 hour boat ride to Pulau Prayer Marine Park. From 11:30-12:45 we went snorkeling. At 12:30-1:00 they gave us a lunch box with rice, chicken, lettuce, tomato, and orange slice with a coke and water. Then we went back out snorkeling from 1:00-2:30. Lexi and I saw 2 sharks!!! I really like following the fish that had a long pointy noise. The Coral wasn’t as pretty as I’ve seen, it looked like grey dull rocks.



2:45 we were back on the boat. We fed the fish some bread and muffins that a man handed to us. It was cool to see all the fish come up to the surface of the water to fight for the food.

3:45 we were back on the bus to the hotel. Jenn was feeling a bit better when we got back and was happy that she had stayed in the hotel room and slept. We had a quick dip in the pool and showered before going out for supper.

We walked across the sand to Berjaya Resort. We ate at the Beach Restaurant. I had fettuccini Carbonara, garlic bread and a coke. There was a little girl celebrating her birthday and 2 guys were playing guitar in red shirts singing to her. We had to take a taxi back to our hotel because the tide came in and we couldn’t walk through the water without getting our clothes wet.

Day 6 - Wednesday, April 14th
8am – woke up and had the usual omelet for breakfast. At 9am our Tour van picked us up. Gram and Elaine didn’t come with us because they weren’t feeling well. The 5 of us fit on a boat together with a few other people. We saw the following sites in the Geopark.
1) Fish Feeding.
2) Swimming Monkeys which we fed peanuts to.
3) Coal Burning Huts
4) Eagle Feeding
5) Mangrove Trees – we even saw a snake in the tree.
6) Crocodile Cave
7) Bat Cave – there were lots of baby bats
8) We went swimming near a hotel.
9) For lunch we ate at a floating restaurant. We had fresh orange juice, chop suey, spring rolls, ginger chicken, squid, fish and rice.




Afterwards we went back to our hotel and went for a swim to cool off. We booked a taxi for 4 hours (160 ridgit). First stop was the Night Market in Kuah Town. There was not much there except food. Then we went to Cehenang Beach Town for supper. I had fish and chips and Naan bread which wasn’t very good. Before going to bed I read The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks.

Day 7- Thursday, April 15th
We slept in a bit longer than usual…10am! Had breakfast. We ordered a taxi to Chenang Area so that we could shop. Everyone went except Jenn and Lexi who wanted to lay by the pool.

We went to the Underwater World Aquarium which was 38 ridgit. On our way out Kim and I bought some spring rolls and wongtons to share. We shopped some more and just before heading back to the hotel we bought some fresh orange juice.

Back at the pool I finished the book The Last Song. I walked around the Resort taking pictures and Kim showed us a Flying Monkey that was on a tree with its’ baby.
We ate supper at Berjaya Beach Resort. We took a group picture with our matching teal sunglasses.





For supper I had steak, mashed potatoes and vegetables for 75 ridgit. Drank some baileys in our room. Before going to bed I read a book called Cocktail.

Day 8- Friday, April 16th
9am we woke up and had breakfast. Jenn and I had a couple of hours to lay by the pool before we had to take a taxi to the airport. Overall, it was a nice relaxing, hot vacation!

No comments: