Today was my first day of school. It did not start off well. At 3AM my alarm clock went off (I was upset at first and blamed my father for not properly showing me how it works, then I realized that my clock was 2 hours fast!) So I tried to sleep but the call to prayer went on the speakers at 4:00, 4:30 and 5:00. Seriously, do they need to pray 3 times in 1 hour?? What I am about to tell you next is unbelievable. I went to go get my lunch from the fridge and the hot water tank above the kitchen sink burst (well the hose came off) I told the guy yesterday that it was leaking and he said he would fix it tomorrow and shut our water off. So I turned it back on because we needed to shower, go to the washroom and brush our teeth. So needless to say it is both our faults that this water explosion occurred. But the guy could have fixed it instead of being lazy and doing it after it broke. (My roommate told me not to worry that this same thing happened to her; expect it was under the sink) So I was covered in water from head to toe in my school clothes. I ran out of my apartment knocked on the nearest door because I didn’t know what to do. Then I heard someone running up the stairs so I yelled at them to tell me what to do and they said tell “NAME” and I said “who is that?” So she pointed downstairs. I ran down and yelled at the first guy I saw..”Water, Water, Water on FLOOR!!!” and motioning with my hands “EVERYWHERE” and so he called for someone and everyone was running to my room. When I re-entered water was still gushing everywhere. (*Note when I got back from school everything was fixed and the guy from downstairs told me he thought it was yelling Fire, not Water!!
(sorry the picture is sideways...but the hose is what came off...haha. oh geez)My roommate Jenn has a car and so we drove to school with another teacher Danielle. Emma was there to great me with a great big smile. We lined up the kids in the open playground area. We have morning announcements as a group and the students pray and listen/sing/chat? to the national anthem. Then we take our class to our home room. We taught four classes in a row – Language Arts (journals for morning message), Language Arts again (spelling), Math and then Social Studies. Done for the day at noon. Seriously I had preps from lunch till 2:30 when the kids left. It was awesome. During my prep-time the students are either at Arabic, Islamic, Art, Computers, or Phys. Ed class. So I did some observation and during my prep-time me some of the teachers as I worked in the staff room on the computer.

The picture above is where the students line up before and after school. There parents pick them up here.
Afterwards, Emma my cooperating teacher and I decided to go for coffee at Starbucks and discuss what I was going to do over the next 7 weeks. We were joined by 2 other grade 5 teachers Tonya and (Tall) Emma. The coffee was delicious!!! We needed a few groceries and Emma suggested I come over to her place and make pizza and watch a movie or something and stay the night. So I agreed. She wanted me to pick up the (*** BREAD) she gave me a coin and told me to go up to the window and hand the man the coin and he should give me 2 pieces of bread to make the pizza on. I walked up to the window …and was at the man’s window not the female window…seriously I did not notice the difference. Emma said if the line up is long on the male side he will take the women’s money first. At her place we made the pizza which tasted amazing…I cannot describe how good it was. Then we sat and talked for hours, thought of a whole bunch of ideas for our Guatemala Unit for International Day which is NEXT Wednesday…I think it was the Bailey’s in our coffee that made us come up with such brilliant ideas!! I had a great time!! We get along great.
No comments:
Post a Comment