March 22, 2007

The Grand Mosque and More...

Today a group of us went to the Grand Mosque. It is huge (the area covers 45,000 square metres and the building occupies 20,000 square metres. The remaining consists of gardens, and fountains etc. When we got there we had put on the robe and hijab. We had a choice between the desert dress or city dress. I chose the desert dress. Check out this hot picture!!



Perhaps...Sister Krista??? haha


Who are these hot ladies?!?!


Inside we saw the Main Prayer Hall which can accommodate approximately 10,000 men at prayer time. (This is only used during large religious functions. Daily prayers are performed at a special court nearby. There is a ladies’ Prayer Chamber that we visited too. The women and men do not pray together as when they prey they are shoulder to shoulder therefore they are separated in different rooms. If they are in the same room men are on one side and female are on the other but that is only for large religious functions.

In Amir’s Hall was cool as there was a crack in the wall that was from the invasion 3 years ago.



Afterwards we headed to the fabric suk which was a building full of little fabric stores. Some fabric was $30.00 Canadian for 1 meter!!! I think I would get a skirt or something made I was living here longer but that takes time and effort as you have to tell your tailor exactly how you want it made.



We had lunch which was similar to our first night here. I really like the food here. Doesn't it look good...mmmm meat!!!


Then we went to the old suk which was a market (similar to the Casablanca media) very clean the only difference was that it wasn’t as crowded and men did not follow you around. It was cool. After super Adriane, Leslie, Amanda, Deana and I went to the Marina Mall where we looked at all the clothing shops. I am addicted to Starbucks coffee which is not good as it is expensive. I bought myself a KUWAIT Starbucks mug. Its pretty sweet. Currently I am just chillin as there is not much else going on. I am looking forward to getting up tomorrow morning to see if Pat’s team wins their hockey game. GO NEEPAWA GO!!!!


** This guy is doing Sheesha...It is a water pipe, known in Arabic as sheesha and in English as hookah, is a traditional Arab method of smoking tobacco.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Krista...that babuska suits you.Baba will be in Saskatoon on the 27th for her eye operation.we will show her how you look.

All the best.......... Uncle Earl & Auntie Anne

Anonymous said...

Krista, you are one sexy woman in a hijab. You should buy material for that.

I've kind of wanted to try sheesha for a while. Apparently, it's quite sweet. There are places to go in Ottawa, but I've never bothered.