March 16, 2007

Kuwait Towers

Today is holy day(Friday), and at noon I finally heard the Call to Prayer for the first time which is heard all over Kuwait 5 times a day everyday. Most of us went to the Kuwait City Center with Rhonna (she drove us there). It was like a superstore where we could buy food, clothing etc. Afterwards I went to a small store around the corner from our apartments with Ryan and Deana. This is where I bought a case of water!! Oh I had chocolate milk for the first time today…it was good. Tasted a bit different and smelt kinda like almonds? But I can drink it, so that is all that matters.
*As you will see in the pictures it was a windy day today...The windows in the tour were sandy and hard to see out and when we went to the wooden boat our pictures didn't turn out because of all the sand in the air.

At 4:00 we met the entire group to go on our Kuwait tour. Lubna who is an administrator at the girls school and also helps at the boys school, was our tour guide. She is very nice, and talkative!! First we went to the Kuwait tower which is located near the Gulf. We went up the tower and was able to have a panoramic view of the surrounding area. What was really cool is that inside the tower the floor slowly does a full rotation every half an hour! (hard to explain, you have to see it!!) From tower there were places written on the windows explaining what you would buildings you would see if you looked in that direction. Rhonna showed us where Bneid Al Gare area is and approximately behind a building where our apartments were!

Next we went to go see the largest wooden boat in the world. Apparently there is a museum inside it but we could not go inside because they closed…so we might go next weekend.


On our bus I also got to see the largest Burger King in the Middle East! Have to go to bed early as tomorrow is my first day of student teaching!!! I have to be at school by 7:00 and the students come at 7:30 and the students leave at 2:30 but I have to stay until 3:00.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey krista I'm glad you made it safe and hope you're have fun oh and Happy Birthday!!